Thursday, May 15, 2008

To days to come, all my love to long ago


I have realized that I have sadly been neglecting Doctor Who this season on my blog. This surprises me as I watch the new episodes at least once the weekend they are released (usually twice once with Cassy and once with the family) and it is the Monday email topic between Heather (who lives way to far away) and I. So I have decided that for the rest of the season I will at least try to talk about my favorite geeky obsession-

Now, this weekend (when I have a tad more time) you will be getting my overview of the first half of season 4, but today I am giving you my top twelve favorite lines and bits of dialogue from seasons 1-4-

Number Twelve: From the 2006 Children in Need Special

DOCTOR
Then how could I remember this? Very first word I ever said to you. Trapped in that cellar. Surrounded by shop window dummies.... oh...

[He looks away for a moment, reminiscing. Then he looks back into her eyes]

DOCTOR
... such a long time ago. I took your hand...

[To emphasize this point, he takes her hand - just like he did when Rose first asked who he was. Rose glances briefly down at their joint hands and then back up at his face]

DOCTOR
I said one word... just one word, I said... "
Run".

Number Eleven: Season 3 Blink

DOCTOR
And that's
it, I'm afraid. There's no more from you on the transcript, that's all I've got. I dunno what stopped you talking, but I can guess. They're coming. The angels are coming for you. But listen, your life could depend on this. Don't blink! Don't even blink. Blink and you're dead. They are fast, faster than you can believe. Don't turn your back, don't look away, and don't blink! Good luck!

Number Ten: Season 1, The Doctor Dances

DOCTOR
So, where'd you pick this one up, then?

ROSE [warningly]
Doctor...

JACK
She was hanging from a barrage balloon, I had an invisible spaceship. I never stood a chance

Number Nine: Time Crash

TEN:

Oh, brilliant! I mean, totally wrong, big emergency, universe goes bang in five minutes but... brilliant!

Number Eight: Season 3 Blink

DOCTOR
Tracked you down with this. This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff. Also, it can boil an egg at 30 paces, whether you want it to or not, actually, so I've learned to stay away fr
om hens. It's not pretty when they blow.

Number Seven: Season 1, The Doctor Dances

DOCTOR
Well, it's gotta find us first! Come on, we're not done yet! Assets, assets!

JACK
Well, I've got a banana, and at a pinch you could put up some shelves.

Number Six: Season 3, The Shakespeare Code

SHAKESPEARE
It made me question everything. The futility of this fleeting existence. To be or not to be…Oh, that’s quite good.

DOCTOR

You should write that down.

SHAKESPEARE
Hm, maybe not. A bit pretentious?

Number 5: Season 1, The Doctor Dances

ROSE
Doesn't the Universe implode or something if you... dance?

DOCTOR [off-handedly]
Well, I've got the moves but I wouldn't want to boast.

[Rose, still grinning, stops shuffling around in her wheel chair and gets up to turn the music up. The Doctor looks around, completely wrong-footed. Rose walks slowly forward, flirtatiously. He looks determinedly back to the wall. Rose holds her hand out to him]

ROSE
You've got the moves?

[The Doctor looks back at her]

ROSE
Show me your moves.

DOCTOR
Rose, I'm trying to resonate concrete.

ROSE [not lowering her hand]
Jack'll be back; he'll get us out. So come on - the world doesn't end 'cause the
Doctor dances.

Number 4: Season 2, The Satan Pit

IDA
Hang on though, Doctor. You never really said... you two... who are you?

***

THE DOCTOR
Oh... (he looks at Rose) ... the stuff of legend.

Number 3: Season 1, The Doctor Dances

DOCTOR
Everybody lives, Rose. Just this once. Everybody lives!

Number 2: Season 3, Utopia

DOCTOR:

Bit of a hermit.

YANA:

A hermit with friends?

DOCTOR:

Hermits United. We meet up every ten years. Swap stories about caves. It’s good fun…for a hermit. So, um, Utopia?

Number 1: Season 2, Girl in the Fireplace

DOCTOR
It's back on the ship. Rose, take Mickey and Arthur, get after it. Follow it, don't approach it, just watch what it does.

ROSE
Arthur?

DOCTOR
Good name for a horse.

ROSE (exasperated)
No, you're not keeping the horse!

DOCTOR
I let you keep Mickey! Now go, go,
go!

1 comment:

cbouwhuis said...

Fabulous! You are the greatest Whovian that I know. Thanks for sharing the wonderful world of Dr. Who with me.
Cindy