Friday, May 9, 2008

Adventures in Student Teaching Week 13

Well, I got my last review this week by my supervisor. You know I never really believed this but there is a difference in the way that people used to teach and they way that they teach now, until she left my final review.

Okay, my kids are talkative. There are days that I am ready to shove them out the window or threaten to fail everyone of them if they make one more noise. Of course I then realize that these are teenagers, not only teenagers they are sophomores and only 15 or 16. I try to keep noise and talking to a minimum and they know that if someone else is talking that they will lose points if I catch them talking.

Anyway, the kids were having some great conversations on the books and they were making some of the best comments I have ever seen them. They have come so far since when I started. And all my supervisor could focus on was that one kid had his head down and that there was some talking going on. She missed all that was good about those kids and focused on the bad. When my cooperating teacher saw it she got so angry, and it made me feel better knowing that I wasn’t over reacting.

Since it is spring the kids seem more restless than ever. I am kinda glad that next week is my last week teaching them. I also learned that I need to have some fun things planned for May next year when I am teaching. I also learned I am really excited to have my own class where it is my own rules established from the start. And my own curriculum.

So it has been a good week. Only nine more days, only five more actually teaching. And I am already missing the kids.

No comments: