Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Adventures in Student Teaching Week 15

Well my lovely 15 week student teaching adventure ended today. I have mixed emotions about this. I am so excited that it is over, ecstatic in fact that I can have something resembling a real life starting tomorrow. I am sad to see this end too, yeah the kids would be done with school in two weeks, but knowing that my class is going on without me is just hard to think of.

It has been an amazing experience, an absolutely amazing experience. I learned so much about myself and how far I still need to go. I learned that when it comes down to it I am a good teacher. That the kids will learn. That I wont screw anyone up. I learned that if I could live through the last 15 weeks I could live through anything. I learned that if I’m not happy (or pretending to be) that class will suck. I learned that no matter what book you are reading the kids will complain, but they will learn something. I learned that even the kids who everyone else has given up on can improve. I learned that it is so easy to make a mom’s day by telling her how great her son is.

Most of all I learned about me. This was the right time for me to start teaching. 5 years ago I didn’t have the patience or the experience I needed, I have it now. That doesn’t mean I am perfect, I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. I know there are going to be days that I want to throw everyone out the window, but the thing is, over all, I am going to make it.

No comments: