Friday, April 25, 2008

Adventures in Student Teaching Week 11

I can’t believe I am down to only four weeks of student teaching. I wish I could say that the time has flown, and I guess in some ways it has, but at the same time it feels like forever. In all honesty, I love teaching. It is the one thing that I wish I could do all day long and I hate when I have to leave and go to my real job every day. I love working with the kids and I love seeing them catch on to something or make a big leap. Those to me have been the moments that I will take with me and remember for the rest of my life.

This week hasn’t been bad, hasn’t been good either, I would say that it has simply been average. We started the week watching ‘The Secret of Roan Inish’ and I just have to say I love that show. I also think that it was a great show to use to introduce magical realism. I stopped the movie as we were watching it and asked questions about what they thought and how it contributed to the four elements of magical realism.

I think the biggest thing I learned this week though was it is okay that I am not perfect. I have always fretted because my A day class gets the most discombobulated lessons. It is the first class that gets a brand new lesson that still needs kinks worked out and right now they are also getting lessons in a unit that is completely new to me. They have become my little guinea pigs, which wouldn’t be bad if they weren’t the class that has the most discipline problems. It really just comes down to getting a double whammy. But I realized this week, it is okay that I am not perfect with that class or with anything else. I am still learning, I am still observing how other teachers handle things, and that is okay. I am not going to be prefect the first year or even in year twenty, but all I can do is my best and make sure that my students are getting my best.

I did get another job offer today. Riverton High. It makes me chuckle a bit because my last job offer had a student population on 197, this one has 2900. I think I am going to take it. The staff seems nice and the program appears to be excellent. This school district was in my top two to work for and I would love to teach Sophomore and Senior English. So I have to call them Monday, and I am pretty sure what my answer is going to be. I have to say I am flattered with the offer though. I interviewed at 12:15 today and they told me then I would hear back next week. I heard back at 2:30. I guess they liked me.

2 comments:

mandorama said...

Congratulations, Nat! Take it, take it!

Natalie said...

I did take it. I'm a real life teacher now.