Thursday, April 10, 2008

I like traffic lights

Once upon a time there was a young girl whose parents dragged her to the wilds of eastern Utah. While they were there, her father was offered a job and the first thing she said was, "I can't move here there isn't a mall." On the way back to her beautiful city she also noticed that the town they had also just visited had only one traffic light, noticing that this was not a good omen for any town she began to sing the following song, "I like traffic lights, I like traffic lights."

The years went by and the girl grew up, living her city life. The idea of life in a town with no mall and only one traffic light was left far away. She loved the city, she loved being so close to everything. She loved that she could drive five minutes and be anywhere. She loved how many theaters she was near and that there was a Subway and a Starbucks on every corner...well at least every three or four miles, it is Utah after all.

The girl decided that she was going to be a teacher and one day she was asked to come to a town and visit with a principal about a job. The first thing she noticed about the town- there were no traffic lights.

Okay, I could probably carry this on but I am not sure that I really want to. I had a job interview today in a town called Lyman, Wyoming which happens to be the perfect job in the middle of nowhere.


I made my parents drive the two hours with me and though I have been to Wyoming quite often I was looking at it as a possible home. I love Wyoming, have since I was a little girl and I knew that this could be the start of a great adventure. The thing is, I wasn't counting on being able to hold my breath through the entire town.

The highlight of the town is the Taco Time, fine Mexican dining. Of course five miles away in Mountain Green they are building a Subway. It took us a while to find the grocery store (it was in another town) though we did find three LDS chapels and a fabric store.

After the parents dropped me off at the high school the principal decided to take me on a tour of the town. Our first stop was the school auditorium to watch a bit of 'Fiddler on the Roof' it was pretty good actually. Then we went on the town tour. It was nice to get the back story of the town. To learn why the grocery store was in another town and to learn why there are dead animals gracing the walls of said grocery store. I also learned that there was teacher housing for only $250.00 a month. Oh and I would have to have satellite which would mean I get BBC America (yes, I do understand that I can get satellite here in Salt Lake- but there it is a necessity).

After the tour of the town (well three towns) and a drop in to see if the superintendent was in his office, it was back to the school for the interview. The interview was one of the best I have ever had. We laughed and joked around and I really liked the people that were there. I learned about the job and that it was perfect for me. It would be three classes of 9th grade English and three classes of Spanish I. They also needed a drama assistant coach, which I would love to do. There are so many opportunities at that school so many things that I could take the ball and run with. The average class size is 18. I have 35 in each class right now. There are only 197 kids enrolled in the school. They have money coming out their ears, and it is by far a better salary than I could get in Utah.

We talked about TBN, classroom management, travel, how I develop my lessons, my family, my students, everything. When we were finished I took a tour of the school, met with teachers, was awed by their facilities, and found myself being drawn in. We finished the tour and it was back to my parents and home.

Here is the thing. This job is perfect for me on so many levels. It is like being handed your dream job on a silver platter (and I am pretty sure they are going to offer me this job), but the I don't think I want it.

I don't do small towns, I don't do towns that are in the middle of no where. The fact that I am even thinking about it scares me. There are no traffic lights in any of the towns I visited, and only one stop sign. It smells like cows and there was still about a foot of snow. I just too much for me. If only I could take this job and all it's perks and transfer it to even a bigger town-one like Evanston, WY. I could do that they have traffic lights, and a Walmart, and a Sonic...oh, they have a Starbucks too. So yeah, basically I have a huge life changing decision coming in the next few days.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

I'm pretty sure whenever we say "I don't do.....", we magically get the opporunity to do it. My husband said when I first met him, "I don't do country music." Guess what cd is in his car now? We all have to face our dislikes sometime. Who knows, maybe you'll end up in Wyoming and go home to visit for the next annual Lip Sync and shake your fist at all those darn stoplights!!

Natalie said...

I didn't end up in Wyoming. I turned the job down.

Marie said...

What a difficult decision -- I completely understand your hangups. In my opinion you made the right decision. The middle of nowhere is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. I'd miss the ballet and late night bookstores and Indian food. Heck -- you wouldn't even be able to get all the spices you'd need to make your own Indian food -- can you even call that living??

Marie said...

Oh, and I laughed when you quoted Monty Python. If you lived in the middle of nowhere and your DVD player broke down, there would be no DVD repairman and no DVD player store and so you wouldn't even be able to watch Monty Python. Horrors.