Saturday, February 2, 2008

Why yes, I am a domestic goddess

Amidst the hustle and bustle of the week, I took time to work on my domestic goddess skills!!

Yes, my path to becoming a domestic goddess becomes more firm every day. So now I share with you all the two projects I finished this week and then some lovely new treats that I tried out!

This is the first sweater that I have ever made. I could bore you with the details about how it took me two hours to take out a sleeve that I put in wrong. And how there should be three button holes, but this sweater just makes me want to find a small child and wrap him in it.

One of my goals this year is to learn how to sew. So this was my first project a jean quilt. These are all jeans that I wore at one point during the past two years. It was actually a fun project and I learned how to sew in a fairly strait line. Tying it was so much fun to, but I love tying quilts! This quilt is so warm too. Next sewing project-- my t-shirt quilt.



So in addition to the crafts I also did a bunch of cooking for a variety of things including Super Bowl Sunday.

So first up, in my goodbye to sugar till Easter tour I bring you the best German chocolate cake recipe that I have ever eaten.

Frosting (this takes a while to cool so you may want to make it first)
4 egg yolks
1 can (12 oz) evaporated milk
1 c sugar
1/4 c packed light brown sugar
6 TBSP unsalted butter cut into six pieces
1/8 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/3 c sweetened shredded coconut
1 1/2 c finely chopped pecan, toasted in oven at 350 deg about 8 mins

whisk egg yolks in medium sauce pan; gradually whisk in evaporated milk. Add sugars, butter, and salt, and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until mixture is boiling, frothy, and slightly thickened, about 6 minutes. Transfer mixture to bowl, whisk in vanilla, then stir in coconut. Cool until just warm. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool or cold. At least 2 hours or up to three days. Pecans are stirred in just before cake assembly.

Cake
1 (4-oz) pkg Bakers German Chocolate
1/2 c boiling water
1 c butter or margarine
2 c sugar
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
2 1/2 c sifted flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c buttermilk

Grease a 9x13 or 2 9 inch round pans. Flour and line with wax paper.

Take 1 pkg bakers chocolate and mix with boiling water. Mix until dissolved. Cool. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter and sugar until they are fluffy and rich (few minutes) Slowly add egg yolks while beating mixture. Beat until there is no more yellow streaks. Add chocolate mixture and vanilla. In separate bowl mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Alternating add buttermilk and flour to chocolate mixture. As you continue to mix batter. Beat until smooth. In separate bowl, beat egg whites until they form peaks (about 5 minutes). Slowly fold in egg whites- do NOT stir or beat them in. Pour evenly into pan(s). Bake 30-40 mins (since I am at high altitude I had to bake it for about 50). Let cake cook 15 min in pan. Remove to cooling rack. Remove wax paper. Ice when cool.


Spinach and Artichoke Dip

1 can (14 oz) artichoke hearts, drained, finely chopped
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained
3/4 c Grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 c Mayonnaise
1/2 c Mozzarella Cheese
1/2 tsp garlic powder

Preheat oven to 350 deg. Mix all ingredients; spoon into 9 inch quiche dish or pie plate. Bake 20 mins or until heated through.

Black Bean and Mango Salsa

1 env Italian Salad Dressing and recipe mix
1 can (16 oz) black beans, drained, rinsed
1 pkg (10 oz) frozen corn, thawed
1 c chopped ripe mango
1/3 c chopped red onion
1/3 c chopped cilantro
1/4 c lime juice

Mix all ingredients until well blended; cover. Refrigerate at least one hour


Have a great weekend!!!

1 comment:

Marie said...

That sweater is gorgeous -- I'm very impressed. The most I've knitted to date is a couple booties, a hat, and some very ugly mittens.

I'll have to try that Artichoke Dip...as soon as I've lost my Christmas poundage...