Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Komen 3 Day- Day 1

After getting typing five pages about just day one, I decided to divided this up.

It is long, but it is here if you want to read. Day two (and three) should be up tomorrow.

"Sometimes we must be more than what we are." Lloyd Alexander

I gave this topic to my sophomores earlier this month to write about, asking them to explain a time when they had to be more than what they are. The responses varied from times they had to step up and do something they didn't want to do, to times when they had to do more push-ups than they thought physically possible. This last weekend I became more than what I am. I found an inner courage and determination that I didn't know I was physically capable of. I really did become more than what I was. I pushed myself to the limits and found what lied past the Natalie that I already knew. It is this story that I want to share with you.

When Elisha first suggested the three day a year ago now, I saw it as only a pipe dream. Something that I said, "yeah, I'd like to do that" but knew deep down I never would. I don't know what gave me that extra push to sign up. Maybe it was the fact that I wanted to accomplish something great. Maybe it was the determination that I could do something. Or maybe it was simply there were people out there counting on me to do this with them. I'll never know, but knowing that Elisha might not be able to participate I placed the call to Komen and signed up.

There were months of endless training and fund raising as I prepared for this challenge. In my mind I keep picturing how it would be, the fun I would have and the joy of crossing the finish line, little did I know what it would do.

The night before...

I was greeted at the Atlanta airport by Erin, my fellow team mate. She had flashy pink jewelry for us to wear along with a sign that got quite a few stares from those at the baggage claim. I feel so honored to have participated in this adventure with Erin. She pushed me and allowed me to make it to the end. She knew when I had to give up and dealt with the various moods that I was in. I am grateful she did this with me. Erin quickly informed me that there was rain in the forecast the next day, but that Saturday and Sunday were meant to be nice.

Pulling out my Pollyanna outlook on life, I declared the rain to be nothing but an adventure and put it from my mind. We were up late that night, eating cheese steaks and trying to cram all our goods into two duffel bags weighing less than 35 pounds. We got a tad creative with the green twine my dad had me bring from Salt Lake, but only had excitement about the day ahead.

Day 1

The weather caster was right. The 100% chance of rain on Friday turned out to be exactly what we got. We drove to the kick off sight in Alpharetta. The weather was damp and a bit on the chilly side for those southerners, but this western mountain girl was feeling just fine. We took our gear over to the waiting truck then headed to the porta-potties. Yes, my first three day adventure was in there as I found the drawstring on my pants would not come undone. After a few adventurous moments in the green monster I was able to rejoin Erin as we moved around the site. There were thousands of men and women milling around. Getting photos taken, finding ponchos and trying their best to stay out of the rain.


Erin and I moved into the pen where they walk was to begin, eagerly awaiting the start of our new adventure. The sky was still dark with clouds, but early morning light slowly trickled in. The music kept us pumped and we soon found ourselves clad in our ponchos dancing along. One woman there was on her own and we attached to her. Elyse amazed me. She had decided to participate only a month ago, and had done her training and fund raising in that time. She is a mother of two who lost her own mother to cancer only a few months ago. She remarked that, "Though it wasn't breast cancer that took my mom- cancer is still cancer."

While we waited and danced in the rain a rumor started circulating. There would be no camp that night, we were bunking indoors. This rumor seemed to be true as the rain continued to pelt down, but we waited for the official word.

Finally it was time to begin. I wish I could adequately describe the opening ceremonies. The ideas and the power of the feelings behind each word made me proud to be there. I stood there with 3400 people of various ages, backgrounds, and beliefs but for one weekend we were united. The force of good that people can hold overwhelmed me then, and I knew that no matter what the outcome of the weekend was, I would leave a better person.

As the flags celebrating the reasons we walked left the starting circle I began to feel the adrenaline. The song, "I'm Walking on Sunshine," was playing as it was our turn to leave the circle and start on our adventure. I was giddy and overwhelmed with happiness and found myself singing along, clasping the hands of other walkers and crew members as they cheered my start and knowing that the rain could not dampen my spirits.

The first two miles were full of smiles and getting to know you time with Elyse and Erin and I acting all goofy. Before we knew it we had made it to the first pit stop where I quickly gobbled up a banana. The pit stop was fun. Music playing, food galore, and wet, smiling faces. We didn't stay long though, eager to continue on with our journey.

The rain continued to pelt us and there were not that many dry spots when we arrived at the second pit stop. I filled up my sports drink bottle there, hoping that I was getting more than flavored water. With another quick snack we were on our way again. One thing about me, I walk fast. I always have. I can walk the same speed in heels as I can in trainers. So I found myself starting to out distance Erin and Elyse. On one of my solo outings that morning I met a youth minister named Susan.

Susan was from North Carolina and she was walking for her aunt and mom, who were both survivors. We set a grueling pace for each other that hour and talked about our homes and our lives. We trudged up a hill together, stopped to take our picture when we reached the top. We waved delightedly at the small school class that was out there to greet us. Learned a bit more about each other religions and beliefs, and continued our trek. When we got to lunch we separated, and I didn't see her the rest of my journey, but she helped me keep going those 6 miles we had together, and I will never forget they joy we felt when we saw the sign that said, "Lunch One Mile." We fought through the wind and the rain and arrived at our first lunch site- having completed ten miles.


Lunch was a miserable affair. That was because there was no place dry to sit and enjoy the remarkable food. By this time I was cold- not because it was cold outside, nope because the sports drink I had filled up on at Pit two had leaked all over my left leg, leaving me even more wet- and sticky- then the rain had done. Erin and Elyse were only about 15 minutes behind me. We were grateful for the hot chocolate that had been provided and so we stood in the rain and consumed our food.

By this time there really wasn’t a dry bit to our bodies. Thoughts crossed our mind of the nice warm bus that would take us the last ten miles to camp, but we decided to trudge on.

Apparently the neighborhood we walked in that afternoon was beautiful. I don't remember much of it. There was a lake, and some pretty trees. But I do remember trudging up hills the rain pelting into us and the wind blowing from all sides. It was at that time I realized that mom and dad were right, their stories about having to walk to school uphill both ways, is an actual possibility, because we never went downhill. It was all up.

About that time we were completely miserable, my shin splints had started (and would continue the next 50 miles) and we were too wet to even care what was going on. It was one foot in front of the other as we all trudged through the neighborhoods and laughed at the signs reminding us to reapply our sunscreen. In order to keep our spirits up we started the "I am grateful for..." game. We each took turns telling each other what we were grateful for and it did brighten the mood a bit.

What continued to brighten the mood was our crew at the street crossings, pumping music into air and bringing out our dancing moves. When the trudging became too unbearable Erin and I launched into a rousing chorus of "The Ants Go Marching" that song lasted us a good half a mile- In fact it may have gotten us to Pit stop 3.

By that time miles seemed to have become longer, we no longer believed the signs stating that we would arrive at our stop in another mile. But the mood continued to be bright. People were genuinely happy, despite the cold and the wet. So we continued on, Erin and I in the lead, Elyse behind us.


We finally made it to Pit 4 and rejoiced at the fact that there was only 2 miles left to go that day until we arrived at the new camp, which was a deserted office building. I was more excited for warm dry clothes than anything else. My shin splints were quite painful at that point, but we continued on. A half a mile after the pit stop we finally flagged down one of the sweep vans, vans meant to help you out and take you to the next pit stop.

The van was heaven sent and the three of us piled in and wore the beads they handed out with pride. Finally arriving at Pit 5 (where sleeping quarters were that night) we went looking for our stuff, grateful that they hadn't unloaded our items from the truck yet, so they were still dry. I was rather wet by this time and really couldn't move. I just wanted out of wet clothes and off my feet. We moved into the building, grateful to have flushing toilets in our temporary home, and found a room. It was like a giant sleep over. Strangers quickly became your sleeping companions and your fervent wishes that they did not snore or talk in their sleep took to the forefront in your mind.

Erin and I changed quickly and were grateful for the warm clothes. We then gathered up our supplies and headed towards the bus that would take us to camp- and a warm meal and warm showers.

The rain had yet to let up but we paid little heed to it. Shunning our walking shoes for our flip flops we walked (or limped) into camp ready to be fed. We were so well taken care of there. A crew member took our plates and then went to make our hot chocolate for us. Crew members handed out towels as we went to shower in the back of semis, even with the rain and the miserable day we all had we kept smiling through. It was amazing.

After a refreshing shower, Erin and I headed back to camp where we were delighted to find out that La Croix was sponsoring free feet massages. We quickly sat down for a lovely foot massage and I decided right then and there that these people one the best booth award. That was until I went to the post office and received notes from friends and family, offering their encouragement for this race and their faith in me. Next to them was the Komen tent where swept up in the day’s events, Erin and I saved our spot for the Cleveland 3 Day. Yes, even after the miserable walk we had that day, and two more days facing us, I was ready to jump at the fact to do it all again.

We walked around a bit then decided to head back for bed. Of course others had that same thought and we ended up waiting an hour in the rain for a bus, and the nice warm clothes I had put on were now damp. While we waited in line there was a karaoke contest going on. I started to sing along and the man standing in front of us whirled around and said, "Why aren't you up there." I smiled, pleased with the compliment.

We finally made it back to our sleeping headquarters, and I really couldn't move by that point. I was in so much pain, that I didn't know how I would make it through the next day.

Before I left my father offered me a blessing. In that blessing I was told, among other things, that I would find the strength to complete this walk. As I lay in my sleeping bag that night I reminded my Heavenly Father about that promise. I told him that I was doing what I could to complete my end but I needed him to help me. I knew that without his help I would not be able to finish. I feel into a fitful sleep that night, proud at my accomplishments and ready to start a new day.

No comments: