Friday, October 31, 2008

Atlanta 3 Day- Day 2

Day 2

We actually woke up earlier than planned on Saturday morning. I was up and moving about 5:00, and grateful as the line for the bathroom when I left was quite long. We changed in our sleeping bags, throwing on new walking clothes and hoping that our shoes would hold up better than the still wet ones from the day before.

I was grateful that rest and prayers had allowed my body to move just a bit easier than I had the night before. I was still stiff and sore but my movement was freer and I could walk with very little pain. One thing I found amusing was the fact that I could not duplicate the neat packing job from the night before. Despite my best tries, my possessions seemed to have doubled. We finally were able to put everything in some place and took our bags back out to the transportation trucks so they could be taken to camp. We lost track of Elyse after arriving the night before, despite our constant looking, we could not find her.

The morning was rather brisk, but it felt good. Best of all the rain was gone. It was still cloudy, but the thought of not having to walk in the rain made me happier than any other weather forecast in my life. We loaded onto a bus and headed to camp for breakfast and for the start of the day.


As I kept moving my muscles seemed to loosen just a bit more. This was aided with the help of the jazzercise routine that two peppy instructors lead us through. I think that was my one and only compliant. I would have loved just a plain old stretching routine in the morning. The jazzercise required too much coordination for a person who can barely walk and chew gum at the same time. It also turned a lot of women off the idea of warming up for the day.

Breakfast was yet another amazing meal and I was grateful for the oatmeal that helped warm me up. Then it was back to standing in line as we waited for the start of a new day.

While we were standing in line, Erin and I made plans for next year. We talked about what we needed to do differently and what fun and crazy ideas we had for the rest of the team. It was at that time I realized I would need a co-captain. I was fine on managing Erin on my own, but what would I do when our team had grown to four...or five? Taking out the wand that Erin had provided me with, I dubbed her co-captain of the 2009 FBG 3 Day team. The other walkers around us chuckled and Erin took a bow. Of course then she realized that meant I would actually make her work, she took it all with a smile and a laugh though.

Finally they let us leave and we made our way up the hill out of camp. It was an amazing experience to see the hundreds of walkers in front of us and to turn around and see the hundreds of walkers behind us. Everyone clad in pink and white and in various states of tiredness, yet each willing to keep moving for the cause.

We walked along a highway for awhile, heading into Duluth. It wasn't uncommon to see a woman squeal and throw her hands up as she discovered road kill lying in her path. I think I saw more dead opossums and deer on this walk than I have at any other time in my life. The first three miles were easy, and before the sun truly came out we had made it to Pit 1. My goal that day was to stretch as much as possible, hoping that my legs would be able to withstand the stress I was putting them through.

We headed out again and started making our way through Duluth. I was excited to see some of the same cheerleaders that had been out in the rain with us on Friday, out again. They were a great source of comfort and cheer, knowing that they were willing to devote three days just to cheer us on.

We danced through intersections, thanked grumpy peace officers, and found ourselves excited just to be on the road again. We also ran into new cheering groups. The people at Whole Foods were lined up outside their store with water, fruit, and power bars. I was so excited to eat a banana (I love them and had missed my morning banana the three days before) then across the street from them was a whole other set of cheerleaders, handing out fun clappers and stickers- not to mention candy. With that boost we headed towards a corner where a steak house sat, Erin hoped that they would be handing out samples, I don't know how that girl could have been thinking about eating steak and potatoes at 9:00 in the morning, but somehow she was.

When we reached the steak house, which had no samples- much to Erin's chagrin, the sun came out in full force. I think there was a cheer that went out, but that may have just been me cheering on my own in celebration. We made it to Pit 2 where I had to stop at medical for blister care and ice for my shins.

We stayed at Pit 2 longer than I would have liked, but the ice on my shins made them feel a whole lot better. Armed with newly patched blisters and hot spots and iced shins, we set out again. Me moving just a bit slower than I had earlier that morning.

It was about this time that I started feeling down. I desperately missed my family and wished that even one of them had made the trip with me. I was participating in one of the biggest adventures of my life and all I wanted was a hug from my dad or mom. We continued walking. Blisters growing, feet hurting, and the sun beating down on us. I was ready to call it in when we approached a cheering station.

These cheering stations had been set up by Komen and the local radio affiliate. There were people just lined up on both side of the sidewalk cheering us on. Thanking us for what we were doing. It was then the tears came. I was walking not only for myself but for each of these people. I was walking so that the young girls there, waving their pompoms never had to deal with the realities of breast cancer. Never would have to know what it was like to worry about losing a loved one to that disease. I couldn't control the tears as I walked and I was grateful for the people there with boxes of tissues. With this bolster we continued on heading for Pit 3.

About a half a mile away I started to really slow down. Between the massive blister forming on my heel and shin splints I could barely move. Poor Erin stuck by my side though finally flagging down a sweep can to take me the last half a mile- get this traffic was so bad Erin actually beat me there. I was amazed at the attitude of the women in the van. They were done for the day, ready to give up. I became quiet and sullen- Erin had to force me into the van, I hadn't come 1700 miles simply to give up. I needed help out of the van when we arrived and while most of the women I had rode with headed for the bus to be taken to lunch, I shuffled over to medical. I begin icing my shins immediately while both Erin and I sat on a cot and waited for blister care. I had three nasty blisters on my right foot, the worst being one that covered the whole inside of my heel. They popped that one, but told me in no uncertain terms that it would be back and I would know when it was back. I moved painfully from the cot and the nurse asked me again if I was alright. I was unable to respond as my eyes were full of tears from the pain. I simply nodded and moved on, knowing that I had to push on.

I made it a mile after the pit stop, and was able to see a band of preteens out performing for the walkers, before I flagged down a van to take me to lunch. I simply could not move any more. They helped me into the van and I dejectedly sat in the corner and tried to figure out what my next move was.

I enjoyed the walking. I enjoyed the time with Erin and the other women around. I didn't want to give that up, but I didn't know if I could physically walk any more. I sat in the parking lot where lunch was, marveling at the women who had the energy and stamina to dance while music played. I could barely stand alone, let alone walk. I sat there, lost in thoughts about myself and my own melancholy as Erin and I ate our lunch.

I sat there and prayed that I would know what to do. I reminded God of his promise that I would have the strength and stamina to finish the walk. I reminded him that I was doing what I could to take care of myself, but the rest was up to him.

I told Erin that I was heading to the portapotties and that I would meet her at the medical tent and left, the decision of what to do still weighing on me.

When I came back it was if a burden had been lifted. My legs still hurt but I was able to walk. We left the lunch stop, without a visit to medical and continued on our way. My goal each time being- just make it to the next pit, then you can decide what to do. Erin praised the outcome of the "magic porta-potty" and I just smiled, knowing that it was some divine help that made it possible.

We continued on our way, our pace of four miles an hour once again restored. I was amazed at how quickly we moved even with the hills and I felt like I was a whole new woman. I soon started calling Erin, "Duluth" as most of the other walkers called me "Utah" we moved through them all- my blister that had been popped, definitely filling again- but it did not matter. We arrived at Pit four and broke out into Grease Lighting with the rest of the walkers and I was shocked at the difference an hour made.

We continued on our way again, heading further and further into "old town" Duluth. The only time I complained (out loud that is) was during this stretch. I desperately needed a bathroom and the grab and go never seemed to arrive. We finally made it to the grab and go and were excited to realize that there were only four more miles of the day left.

The next 1.5 miles were great. We were in Erin's neighborhood and she was pointing out things that were fun to learn about. Then we hit the second cheering station of the day- though we were fighting with trick-o-treaters for space on the sidewalk. We were blessed by a white Muslim woman (talk about stereotypes going out the door) and met Erin's parents. I found I could not stop for long though as the pain was quickly returning to my legs (and my bum knee). We said our goodbyes and continued onward to the next pit. Thanking those who came out to support us and marveling that strangers would come and cheer on other strangers.

We arrived at Pit 5 and I headed straight for medical. The nurse there was kind and wrapped my knee for me. Placing a bag of ice on the ace bandage and then wrapping plastic wrap around it. The other workers told me to hop on the bus, but I was only a mile and a half away from camp. So Erin and I took off, the ice bag strapped on the knee and still moving at our 15 miles.

That I have to say was the most empowering experience. We passed people as we walked and got a few double takes. One guy told me that I should not be allowed to pass him as I just took the last bit of confidence he had. Another group of women continued to cheer me on as we passed, shouting, "Keep it up, Utah."

The ice bag fell off by the time we made it to camp. But I didn't care. When I thought I wouldn't make it through the afternoon, there I was checking into camp and looking for my luggage.

It was then time to get our tent sent up. Actually the first thing we did after getting our tent and luggage was take off our shoes. Sure enough, my blister was back in full force. Not only had it grown, but it had brought friends. Completely exhausted I tried to set up our tent from lying on the ground- that didn't work. I then tried to find a helpful boy scout- there wasn't one around. So instead Erin and I just did it ourselves. It was a pretty pink tent, and while I unpacked Erin decorated it so we would find it amidst the other 1700 pink tents that were around camp.

Once the tent was set up we both limped over to medical. Only to find we had to shower before we had our problems taken care of. We went to eat dinner, which was delicious and where Erin met people who knew her brother and sister. Then it was off to the showers.

I really didn't mind showering in the back of a semi. I felt that I had enough privacy, and it wasn't at all what I thought it would be. After getting all clean and ready to go we headed once again to the hospital tent. This time determined to have our blisters taken care of- and my shin splints.

The wait wasn't that long before a nice nurse took me back to pop my blisters. The one on the heel was gigantic and she had fun making sure that she got out as much fluid as she could. After that it was back across to the shin splint center where they ace bandaged my legs, plastic wrapped them, iced them, then plastic wrapped them again. I walked around like that the rest of the evening my legs in total bliss at being iced and wrapped. Erin offered moral support by cracking jokes that we all rolled our eyes at.

After that we headed to the remembrance tent. This was the one place in camp that is meant to be silent. As you approach the tent it is flanked by 13 other white tents, each lit from within. This is to represent the other cities that the walk has taken place in. The tents from previous races are all signed by the various participants. Inside the Remembrance tent was the smaller white tent for Atlanta as well as pictures of former walkers who had passed away. It was a great place to stop and reflect on why we were there. There was also a place to journal exactly why you were walking. It was a moving experience and I watched as strangers comforted each other. No words were said or needed- simply a hug or a touch of a hand.

Eventually we headed back to our tent. Ready to rest and finally get some sleep. Our tent was cold, and we bundled up, before diving under the covers. Unfortunately, the lady in the tent behind us did not feel the same way and we spent a good twenty minutes listening to her complain about everything from the route to the food. I was ready to go out and turn some Pollyanna on the situation, but loved the warmth of my sleeping bag just a bit more.

We then drifted off into what would be a restless and unrestful sleep for the both of us.

No comments: