Friday, March 21, 2008

Adventures in Student Teaching Week 6

Overwhelmed. Exhausted. Frustrated. Tired. Those are just some of the words that describe this past week. Student Teaching has been more of a roller coaster than I thought it would be and that is saying something.

It was the end of term this week. So in the midst of everything else I spent my nights (and really early mornings) grading final papers. For the most part I was pleased with the papers. I can see how much all my students continue to improve as writers and how their insights into the literature are continuing to deepen. One night while I was grading I noticed that the paper I was reading seemed vaguely familiar. I pulled out a paper I had graded previously and noticed that they were essentially the same paper. It wasn't word for word, but was still the same thing. Before issuing a grade I asked three other teachers to read the papers. I didn't tell them anything about my suspicions but they quickly confirmed what I already knew. I was then at a loss, I wasn't sure how to handle this situation. Thank heavens for my cooperating teacher. Ruthie, told me simply to half the score then on the other paper write see Johnny for the other half of your score.

When the boys came to class that morning they had already seen what their scores were and asked why. I explained to them and the protests started. They claimed they worked on it together, I pointed out that there is a difference of working together and writing the same paper. Later in the period I began to grade another paper, only to find it the same as the two others I had already graded. I called all three students up, and told them that the score would now be divided three ways. They continued to protest, but finally one of them admitted to what they had done. He tried to take the entire blame himself, saying that was the one who had copied. I thanked him for his admission but pointed out all three were still responsible for what had happened and all three would accept the consequences. It was a tough moment. I felt bad, but at the same time they need to learn that what they did was wrong.

The week continued to go that way. I told students I would accept work up until the moment I walked in Thursday morning. It would be marked late, but some points were better than no points. I had students who just didn't turn in assignments, or were upset when I couldn't accept them after Spring Break. Unfortunately the end of the term is not a date I can change. I was so frustrated with these students who are supposed to be honor's they are supposed to know better. I know that there are some that question if I am getting a proper experience in student teaching when I have the honor's classes. The thing is, I know there are challenges that I am not facing in the honors classes. I have few ELL learners and minor disruptions, but there are also a whole new set of challenges. I know that most think that honors classes are the Mecca of teachers- I am here to state that they are not everything that they seem to be. It is hard tough work. I have students who act up, I have students who are disruptive, I have students who don't turn in work, I have students who talk back. When it comes down to it teenagers are still teenagers- honors students or not.

Of course the week wasn't all bad. We are reading 'A Doll's House' right now, and I have one student who is so excited about it. She is reading Nora and she reads it with such a passion that I just smile. Hilary has such a yearning for learning. She reads ahead, she asks me for book suggestion about a topic she wants to learn more about. She is a true pleasure to teach.

My one ELL learner is going to pass the class. He has worked so hard this past week and just the thought of him passing makes me want to cry, I am so happy.

So I guess when it comes down to it. It was just a regular week. Ups and downs, but I am so grateful that it is now spring break- I don't think I could have lasted another week.

2 comments:

phoenyx said...

In my experience, honor's students try to game the system more than about any other group.

Also, I think you should dance the tarantella for them.

Natalie said...

Tadly, you make me laugh.