Monday, August 10, 2009

3-day Cleveland--day 3

Sunday morning came faster than I wanted it to. Not only was I awoken to the sound of Heather’s alarm and people milling around outside, but to the sound of rain. I groaned inside and snuggled deeper into the blanket. I did not want to get up. I did not want to walk in the rain. Heavens, I did not want to walk at all. I lay back down and listened to Heather’s “threats” to get up, all the while pondering if I just wanted to SAG it to lunch.

Finally, Heather’s admonitions got me up and out, even though I still longed for my blanket and swimming pool mattress. We got up and braved the now drizzling rain to pack, take down the tent, and head to breakfast. Right here, right now I want to tell you that Heather is a pro at packing a tent. I want her with me every time I do one of these things for her tent packing skills alone. I mean she is a brilliant conversationalist and hilarious, but she could go pro with the tent packing skills.

We headed over to breakfast and got a hug from hug lady as we waited in line. Much to my dismay there was no oatmeal this morning. I ended up with cream of wheat though and that was a close second. I didn’t eat much the rest of breakfast, there was something about it that just didn’t sit well this morning.

We finally striked off, so happy that there was only 17 miles to accomplish. Hug lady and Jerry were waiting for us as we left camp and we felt their enthusiasm. The first three miles flew by, for one reason. We started making up a lovely chant with our new friends Kim and Trish. We got all those around us chanting with us as we walked through the streets towards Pit One. I love how easy it is to meet friends from all over. We were determined our chant would go 3-day wide. That this would be Cleveland’s mark on the 3-day. So here it is, all verses written down, for your chanting pleasure:

I don’t know but I’ve been told,

3-day walkers bring in gold.

Walking in the rain and sun

Making friends and having fun

I don’t know but I’ve been told,

3-day walkers are really bold

Pirates keep us safe from harm

Crossing streets and saying Arrrr

I don’t know but I’ve been told,

3-day crew carries a heavy load.

Red shirts yelling out at me,

Drink and Pee and no IV.

I don’t know but I’ve been told,

3 days in my shoes are old.

Blisters, chaffing, busted knees

CVS has bio-freeze.

Sound off

1..2.

Sound off

3..4

Bring it on down

1, 2, 3, 4, 1, 2, 3-day!

That little chant honestly got us through and we chanted it walking into Pit one, only to be told that the neighborhood we were in did not want us and we had to be quiet. I understood the people of Westlake’s concerns, but it was one morning that we were interrupting. One morning that we really needed to laugh and cry and joke and chant with one another simply to make it through the day. I stayed made at the city until Pit 2. Childish, I know, but still when you have walked so many miles you just want people to understand and accept the sacrifice of hundreds of walkers. It really put a damper on that next three miles.

The three of us separated during that leg, Erin called a sweep to take her to the pit so she could fix her blisters, Heather and I just separated. There seemed to be a damper on all the walkers during this leg, not helped by the rain that started to fall. We finally got to the next pit where there was polkaing. I was amazed with Heather’s polka skills, or the fact that she could still polka after walking 49 miles.


We set out again, quickly doing the two or so miles that we needed even in the rain. Finally we reached the next Pit, knowing it was only three miles to lunch we took the time to stretch and make plans to hop a van during the next three miles.

Those next three miles were brutal. Absolutely brutal. It started off with rain but ended up with sun pounding down on us. There were times that I just kept praying that I could put one foot in front of the other. Heather and Erin caught a van about half way through the leg, for some reason—despite the plan—I did not get on with them. I continued to walk and it was a mistake. My feet were killing me, my blisters were getting bigger, and the way that I was walking was killing my knees. I finally staggered into lunch, being asked by one of the crewers if I was okay. Because of the short day I felt rushed at lunch, there was no time to sit and be leisurely. It was quickly eat, get medical care, and go. I felt cheated out of my time to relax. I made my way to the potties where they drew a lovely pink ribbon on my arm with lip gloss. Then I headed to medical and bandaged my several blisters. As I was bandaging I found Kim and Trish and they were able to tell me about the latest verse added to our chant.

We headed out again, only to be delayed at the next Shell station as Erin had to use the bathroom again. Of course this was after the cheering station where they were handing out Jell-O shots so most people were stopping at the Shell to use the facilities. I was getting frustrated, my legs hurt, my feet hurt, and I felt this invisible line inching towards me that was the deadline, the time I had to be to the grab and go before they stuck me on a bus. No matter how much I wanted to be on a bus this morning I was ready to finish this. We pushed hard to the Grab and Go. Really hard. I felt like it was back to day one and we had all the energy that we needed to keep going. We even passed up one dollar dairy queen ice cream to make it.

We finally made it to the G&G where we stood in line for 15 minutes to use the portapotties, then it was off. We had 4.5 miles left. 2.5 to the next pit. We set off but my knee was becoming more and more useless. The more we stopped the harder it was for me to get going again. I was hobbling and no longer was striking out for the team. I finally realized I couldn’t make it anymore and hopped on a bus for the mile or so left to the pit. It was the ABBA van, and I was so excited. I got to listen to one of my favorite groups while being taken to medical care.

Pit four might have been a grab and go. Most people were just peeing and leaving, with two miles left I don’t blame them. The wonderful nurse, Laurie, that had somehow taken care of me all three days was there to ice my knee and then wrap it. It felt somewhat better but it was also nice to put my feet up again.

Erin and Heather came into camp and we headed out soon after. Two miles left and each step taking us closer to where we needed to be. I slowly gained steam again and was able to keep up with everyone. We walked through the cheering station at Bera and there was one mile left to go. This mile turned out to be the toughest mile that I have ever done.

It all started with another potty break. The stopping is what killed me. I was running on pure adrenaline at this point and stopping was killing me. We were so close and I just wanted to sit down. I leaned against the stone wall waiting for Erin and Heather to come back down and started to cry. I just hurt. Hurt beyond hurt. When we finally were on our way again the tears didn’t stop. I was sobbing by the time I made it to the last pit stop and my tears were exasperated by the fact that I had to stop at the cross walk.

There was one crew member that made it a bit better. He put his arm around me and just let me cry while he told me how strong I am. How proud he was of me. How he crewed because he couldn’t walk. That I was so strong. This just made my tears flow even more. He offered to help me cross the street, but me in my stubbornness told him no.

We finally crossed that finish line and the other walkers and crew members but I was in so much pain that it was just a relief. I knew that I would be able to sit down and just cry. We got our pictures taken where I slapped on a fake smile, then Heather and I made our way across the field for closing ceremonies.

It took me 25 minutes to cross that field and get my luggage. I was amazed that I could still walk to be honest. I met Heather’s husband, who is fantastic, and dropped my stuff off in his car. I then hobbled back stage where I collapsed to the ground and took a nap. Apparently I was really out of it as one crew member tried to introduce himself but I ignored him.

When I finally came to Heather was talking with Kathy, another walker whose husband had breast cancer. She was walking in at least two other three days this year. I am amazed with people that can do that.

Closing was fantastic, full of tears and laughs. I wanted to take Jerry and Woo-hoo man home with me. Just so I could have that constant cheering when I cleaned the house or finished a lesson plan. There are things that I will continue to bring with me after the three day. The sense of accomplishment, the friendships, the memories of participating in something greater than myself. As we sat at dinner that night, finally getting to use a nice clean flush toilet, and eating the best burger I have ever eaten in my life I realized it. This is what life is about. Committed citizens doing whatever they can to change the world. We aren’t rich, we aren’t famous, but we have heart. Hearts that reach out and touch so many more. And it is those hearts, those unfailing giving hearts that will change the world.


Getting a hug from hug lady as we Our team at Pit 1
left Sunday morning


Heather Dancing at Pit 2

Me dressed as a polkaer


Look a covered bridge after lunch! I love that pink bunny


Not the best picture, but for some reason the one Sleeping behind stage--don't bother me.
I uploaded.


Heather at closing me at closing.

4 comments:

Elaine Lowe said...

You are just absolutely amazing. I am so proud of you! (naiad from LJ)

Jerry said...

one more time....great job!!!

I enjoyed your write up, hopefully our paths will cross again one day.

Jerry

Elisha Dew said...

This has nothing do with with anything, I just wanted you to know that my blog address changed slightly. There was a problem with emails and logins and blah blah blah.

http://abstractthegood.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

YAY! I knew you were due for a checkup soon so I've been checking your blog. I'm so happy to hear the good news! Amén!!!

http://www.myshop.com.pk/smartphone-mobile/samsung-mobile